Friday 21 July 2017

Why You Should Move Abroad. And Do It While You're Still Young.

I live in Germany for 6 months now. Last year in 2016 I decided to study abroad. It was a moment like "That's it, this is my chance. I will study in Germany no matter what happens." Then I promised to myself, and then here I am. After a long, and difficult process. I would never say it was easy. It was hard, but I believe nothing is impossible.


For many the idea of moving abroad is only just a dream. Many fail to make it happen. The secrets are believe in yourself, and don't give up. No matter how scary and how difficult it may seem. It is not as difficult as it sounds. There is always something you can do, and succeed at. 

And finally it was the time for me to leave. I still remembered that day. I had my family at the airport. Deep in my heart I said "no, no.. Don't you go." But ultimately, I had to say goodbye and board the plane by myself. It was the saddest, and longest flight I have ever been on.😭😭

Living abroad is one of the most satisfying and challenging things a person can do. Living abroad changed me. And it will also change you. It could be a life-changing experience you'll never regret. Who knows, it could be your best decision ever.

Here are 4 reasons to move abroad, and do it at least once in a lifetime. 


1. Boost your confidence, independence, and language skills.
By moving abroad, you'll be forced to leave your comfort zone. It means doing things that you don’t feel comfortable with doing. Moving abroad can be a great confidence booster. Why? 


The impact on you is huge. You faced challenges, got to know parts of you that you never knew existed. And finally you will learn to adapt and fit in to all situations. You will be comfortable doing things on your own. You have to deal with all the bureaucracy, doing grocery shopping, and you have to deal with every problem by yourself.

When moving abroad, one skill you already have is your mother tongue. You will learn the local language faster and you will discover new words that have no English translation out of it.

2. From instant noodle to gourmet fancy-nancy meal.
Yeah this is one of my greatest achievement. Finally I can cook. But I have to admit it sometimes things go wrong. 😰 You can cook your favorite meal, and you can replicate top Michelin star chef dishes easily. That's true!! But sometimes you still have to ask your mom for some suggestions though.. Because I come from Indonesia, there are a lot of things I couldn't get here. It's also contributes to homesick in my case. If you are Asian, Asian supermarket will be your favorite place definitely. And when you can't find something you need to perfect your meal, just be creative!! Hahahaa *evil grin*

3. Your world became a whole lot bigger. 

You met a lot of new friends.. And some of them become your family. You have a lot of new places to visit, and you will meet a lot of beautiful people. Try to learn new culture, and some of new basic languages too. And at some point you will realize you forgot the currency of your home country. 
You finally earned true freedom. Freedom to explore new things, new places, new friends. Freedom to choose whatever you want. Freedom to be yourself. It's good to be free.. With all that freedom, it comes responsibilty. If you don't want to take responsibility, you can't have freedom either.
Enjoy experience living abroad and have a unique worldview.

4. It makes you happier.
You’ll never lose your friends and your family will always be family. But you’ll love them more and they’ll miss you more in your new world. Believe me it's true (From my 5 years experience not living with my parents). When you look back and finally realize that you have not only dealt with the stress of moving abroad, and all those homesick, but also successfully managed to make your dreams come true in a foreign country. That is unbelievably amazing. Maybe it will be your biggest achievement you have done so far. 

You can speak another language, cook diverse foods, travel further, and embrace different cultures, and traditions. You open your mind to opportunity more frequently. There are a lot of new things will happen. 

Enjoy life, there are no rewind, and no replay. So enjoy every moment as it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment